The skin of your décolletage is thinner and more delicate than the skin on the rest of your body. It contains less oil glands and fewer melanocytes, (cells that give colour to your skin and protect it from UV rays).
This area is more prone to being sun damaged in our early and teen years, long before we discover we should be using an SPF.
Our skincare routines can often stop at our chin or base of the neck, with little attention being given to the delicate skin below. It is easy to overlook and a swish of body cream does not contain the ingredients needed to restore and maintain this delicate skin.
The 7 best ways to look after your décolletage
- Treat your chest like you treat your face, with daily cleansing and exfoliation 2-3 times a week. We can't overstate the importance of this..
- Wear a broad spectrum sunscreen when your neck or chest is uncovered. This is a must even in cloudy weather.
- Try to fall asleep lying on your back. Falling asleep on your side can speed up the formation of chest wrinkles and have a sagging effect on the chest. Whilst it is really difficult to get into this habit, it can make a significant difference over time.
- Do not spray perfume directly onto your décolletage, particularly in sunlight. It is easy to do and almost second nature to us all. Without moisture on the skin's surface the alcohol in the perfume will dry the skin, which can speed up the ageing process on this fine and sensitive skin. Keep perfume to your pulse points, it's so much more effective there too!
- Use décolletage specific skincare containing active ingredients to work on those deeper set central lines. Look for ingredients that target specifically the issues that you want to address i.e rough texture, lines and wrinkles or hyper-pigmentation.
- No smoking. It sounds obvious, but the same chemicals that cause the loss of collagen around the mouth also have the same effect when it comes to the appearance of your neck and décolletage.
- Finally, staying hydrated. Keeping the outer layers of your skin hydrated gives great benefits. Not only can it help prevent fine lines and wrinkles from forming through dehydration, but it can reduce the depth of the lines we may currently have. It is always worth checking how much liquid (coffee and tea don't count sorry) you are having in a day and don't worry it can be through the inclusion of more fresh fruit and does not have to involve litres of water.
Stellar Décolletage launched in 2017, to spread the message on how important it is to include the décolletage into your daily skincare routine.
We have incorporated high performance active ingredients into our products making it easier than ever to restore and maintain radiant skin.
See our multi-award winning products here...